Thursday, November 14, 2002

The Science of Song, part 2: Okay, Bad Example...

There was another little point that I didn't make in yesterday's rant about music, so I will make it now.

Within the past year I had the revelation that all music is relative, and that there truly isn't such a thing as definitive "good" music and "bad" music. People tend to think that the reason why some bands become famous while other bands remain nameless has to do with how talented each band is. This is not true. It all depends on how many people like the music. If you compare Alien Ant Farm to The Walkmen, it's easy to say that the latter group has truckloads more musical talent and creativity than the former. But ask someone on the street who they like better (excluding the city of Eugene) and most will probably say "AAF rocks! Duuuraahruuuuiuurruu!!" ...Well, they may or may not make the retard noise, but my point stands: personally I consider The Walkmen as writing good music while Alien Ant Farm writes crap, but The Walkmen just aren't as popular. Alien Ant Farm happened to appeal to more people's tastes.

I recall quotes from two great philosophers: Alexio Wiseman once said "There is a market for anything. It doesn' matter what kind of shit you make, someone will listen to it." Nick Curry has a quote that says "Everyone is famous for fifteen people." Two different wordings that basically say the same thing; everyone has differnt tastes, and no matter what you make as far as art goes, someone will think it is genius. Exactly how many people think it is genius- from 10 to 10,000 -is usually completely up to fate unless you have a specific group you are catering to, LIKE STARTING A FUCKING BOY BAND JUST BECAUSE YOU KNOW IT WILL MAKE MONEY OFF OF THE AMOEBA-MINDED FEMALE YOUTH OF AMERICA.

Anyway, before I once again lose track of what I am talking about, I will say this: Marc Bolan wrote the lyrics "I ain't no square in my corkscrew hair", and he is considered to be one of the greats in the history of rock 'n' roll artistry.

Makiko quote of the day:
"I am not a good student, so today I fell down." (She confused the word 'fell' with the word 'feel'.)

No comments: