Tuesday, November 19, 2002

Prose and Verse

In all truth, I'm only writing this to further distract me from writing my short story. I will write a little bit here and there, but some things just aren't coming together as well as they could be. Actually, I'm not quite as stressed about having it completed when I turn it in for peer critiques as I used to be. Today a girl only had 5 pages of her story completed, and she still had no idea how she was going to end it. I am hoping that the class will be so blown away by my creative writing skills that they will be too busy bleeding from the ears to notice that I still have a lot to write. Thursday morning is zero hour.

I downloaded the first song released from the new Momus album, "Oskar Tennis Champion," set for release in March, 2003. His new record is being remixed/produced by Sir Fashion Flesh, one-half of The Super Madrigal Brothers (the other half of which, Oliver Cabol, I have exchanged emails with). At first I didn't really like the idea of Momus enlisting someone else to reshape his musical compositions. I thought "Folktronic" had stellar production, and I was looking forward to seeing how Momus would further evolve his instrumental and programming skills. But then I realized that this whole "reproducing" idea is something new for Momus, something original, something never done before on any of his albums, and artistic innovation is what Momus is all about. Fashion Flesh is, after all, a very talented young knob-twiddler. So I say throw the songs to the mangler; the results will be framed and put on display in all their glory for everyone to either spit on or cheer for. As far as my thoughts on the song, it is good, not great. It's got the same ol' Momus flavor, with a slightly new taste in the music. But if there is one thing I've learned from Momus's albums it is that no one song can define or predict the sound of the record as a whole. In short; I'm sure the album will be real keen.

No comments: