Thursday, February 13, 2003

Thought 1

"Japan is a society which loves children, a society where it sometimes seems that all adults model themselves on an inner child, and certainly where commerce -- from fashion to banking -- uses childish characters, colours and scrawls and an all-pervading, all-conquering tone of cheerful cuteness to sell things. Put these tones -- Formalism and Cuteness -- together and you get the somewhat unexpected style I call Cute Formalism." - Momus


"Here in the states I think there is a definite backlash to all things seen as "cute", "ironic", etc... I call it the "new sincerity". I have even gotten a bit swept up in it myself while working on the new album! perhaps it is a response to the very frightening political situation here right now?" - Nathan Michel

No comments: