Friday, February 28, 2003

It's a Cloudy Day in the Neighborhood

"I have really never considered myself a TV star. I always thought I was a neighbor who just came in for a visit." -Fred Rogers

Mr. Rogers leaves his living room for good. I'll miss the guy. In a time when shows like "Teletubbies" and "The Wiggles" are actually damaging childrens' minds, Mr. Rogers Neighborhood seems more heroic and necessary than ever. It was just last week when I was watching the program, and I thought to myself "this show is genius." He wasn't reciting lines or trying to act like a happy, mentally deficient adult (that guy from "Blues Clues"...). He would just chill out in his house, feed his fish, talk to a trolley, go into a crazy make-believe sequence, and sometimes visit some local institution. In watching his show I was shown things like how crayons are made, and the skill it takes to be a baker. I remember him visiting the local museum and having artists tell him about their sculptures and the colors in their paintings. During the episode last week, Rogers said something to the effect of "Art is different things to different people, and that's what makes it wonderful. You can create something that is beautiful and artistic in it's own way." If only we could view this episode in my Philosophy in the Arts class! There'd be nothing left to discuss!
Even in my older years I could come back to the show and find it entertaining, such as the timeless episode in which a young breakdancer shows Mr. Rogers his moves, then encourages him to try it himself. Fred Rogers pulling off a somersault to Run DMC music is a classic TV moment in my book.

What Chad and I found interesting - and a bit morbidly humorous - is that you can go to PBS Kids online and read "Talking to children about Fred Rogers' Death". I guess this would be enormously helpful to many parents, but...well, you just have to read it for yourself.




No comments: