Monday, February 10, 2003

Airports and Flaming Afros

Okay, it does work. For a few minutes my site was inaccessible and I was worried that it had fallen into a coma.

Yesterday I went to the Portland airport in the morning. I love airports. They're so clean, so modern... Each nice, big airport is like a sampling of the ideal progressive world, always being updated with the latest technology, services, and architecture. Portland's is almost like a mall, with restaurants and shops for rich travellers to paroose (a $4 bagel is a little much for the average joe). I still don't see who would buy some of the stuff they have, considering it is an airport. I can't imagine some business man, suitcase in hand, thinking "Let's see. I have 30 minutes to find gate...Oh! A recliner! And it's on sale!" I noticed that the Portland airport even has sculptures by Jeff Koons on display to glance at as you're boarding your flight.

Also yesterday I viewed the Japanese movie "Waterboys". In a nutshell, it's a comedy about a gang of high school geeks who form their own synchronized swimming team. I was overall quite amused but I had a couple problems with it, namely the unbelievable/underdeveloped romance and the gratuitous "funny" homoerotic scenes. Maybe it's just me, but I can only watch so many high school boys dancing in speedos before it just isn't funny anymore. My favorite part of the film was a slow motion shot of a boy jumping head-first into a swimming pool with his afro on fire. Now, something like that I could watch over and over.

No comments: