Saturday, February 15, 2003

Happy Post-Valentine's Day

Last night at about 11:00 I wondered how many people in the city of Corvallis were gettin' it on at that very moment. I'll bet there was a bunch!

I read an interesting column in the campus newspaper a few days ago about how Valentine's Day is an awful holiday. I have to say that my head was nodding as I read, but yesterday was still fun for me. Even though it may be considered "annual failure day" to millions of single guys and girls, and even though the holiday seems to be based on consumerism (if you don't buy chocolates and flowers, YOU are a bad boyfriend), I enjoyed it because, for me, it was a new experience. I felt like an immigrant who had finally become enough of a citizen to participate in this national holiday. I was a little reluctant in following he crowd to buy the obligatory gifts, but I felt good when I witnessed their effects. Plus, I had the chance to make a rad pastel card which turned out great except for a small error in my katakana skills. Anyway, maybe someday I will oppose this holiday as vocally as I oppose required high school math courses, but for now I can say "kinou wa omosiirokatta desunee."

Oh yeah; just thought you'd wanna see this. I'm part of something big.

No comments: