Tuesday, January 21, 2003

Press Start for Art pt. 1

For a while I have had a theory that the next artistic frontier will be video games, as pop art is moving more and more into electronic media. We've already seen feats of downright great storytelling in games such as Final Fantasy(the recent ones) and other RPGs, and a few others (Parappa the Rapper, Rez, Jet Set Radio) have really started breaking the grounds of "interactive electronic visual art". I was going to try to confine all that I want to say into one entry, but I thought I'd break it up into a series of entries looking at different artists and websites that I feel have something to do with this whole idea.

eBoy uses Adobe Photoshop to create pixelated people, buildings, entire fuckin' cities, portraits, and a bunch of other stuff. PC game designers and programmers have been doing this for years, but this guy is doing it just for the art of it. And he's got a book, too.

No comments: