Sunday, January 26, 2003

Press Start for Art pt. 3

In these past few entries I have been trying to show you how video games can be used as an artistic media. I could continue searching the internet forever and linking to examples of how this is coming to realization, but I won't, because there are other things I want to touch on. So I guess this will be the last entry on the video-game-art-thing.

But that's okay, because I found the site. When I first considered writing this little series, and anytime I think of video games as a potential art form, there is one game that consistently comes to mind. An weird game. A fabulous, crabulous, zip zoop zabulous game. This game has the most creative premise and design as I've ever seen on a console. It's the only game for which you could say "I think the hardest level is 'Metal Machine Music pt. 2' by Lou Reed." It's a fantastically minimal piece of work, both visually and dynamically. It's a combination of the visual, the musical, and the interactive like you've never seen before, a game where the music is the antagonist, taking the form of a shifting, physical landscape. You just gotta see it to know what I'm talking about. It is called Vib Ribbon.

(Just a few notes on the site, if you're not using a fast computer, you might want to skip the intro. Also, you MUST have sound, because the music is FUCKING AWESOME.)



No comments: