Saturday, January 04, 2003

If you are going to Cali-Francisco

Okay, I finally have time to put in a word or two. I start school on Monday, so I will probably be writing regularly again after then. There's more time to waste when I'm at school than when I'm on vacation.(?)

Christmas was fun. I saw my grandparents' chickens, I played with my young cousins, and I went to San Francisco. I returned home with some great gifts, including a t-shirt, some rad books, and a big ol' collection of Little Nemo comics that are so wierd and wonderful that you just love it. I also bought some pants, which are good.

I love San Francisco. Every time I go I feel like I'm spending the day with an old friend who I never get to see. I'd say the best part of this year's trip was my Chairman Mao hat, mainly because I found it in China Town in a box that said "Chariman Mao hats". Then there was my encounter with an old brotha just tryin to get by:

him: Spare some change, bro?
me: (pulls out a quarter) There ya go, man.
him: Hey, aiight. Man, I wish I had a million dollas, you know?
me: Heh. Yeah...
him: (pointing to a slightly plus-size woman on the street) Then maybe I could get me some fine piece of that, you know what I'm sayin??
me: Heh heh...uh, yeah...
him: Like butter, man, like butter!

Ah, the city. I noticed something else while in a giant Levi's store that made me think. Just inside each entrance to the store you are greeted by a couple manniquins and a living, breathing youth. These youths do nothing- they don't open doors, they only say hello if you say hello -but stand there and face the doors. I'm quite sure one girl wasn't even wearing Levi's clothes. But each one of these youths has a name tag. They are store employees, and as far as I could tell, they get paid to stand in front of the doors and project their youthful attractiveness. There are other people in the store that ask if you need help with anything, so that job is covered. So you might say these city youths actually have jobs being "human manniquins"! Oh, the macabre horror!!! Yeah, so anyway, I thought that was rather queer.

I might have more I want to talk about, but that's all for now. I'm gonna go do something constructive...in my Chairman Mao hat.

No comments: