Tuesday, January 06, 2004

OSU is finally conquered by the elements.

Last night it snowed more. A lot. Then it rained a little. The result was a thick white layer of frozen snow covering all of Corvallis, and OSU had to close its doors and cancel its classes for the day. But I'm not scared of snow. With coffee cup in hand, I set out this morning on an expedition around campus. I thought it a shame that most students were just sitting in their rooms, scared of the "deadly snow" outside that would eat their flesh away and kill their motor cars. Everything was clean white, and the frozen snow cracked and broke beneath my feet like...I don't know...tortilla chips. Some guys were skiing down the street behind the library. Myself and some other curious explorers stopped and watched. "Feel Flows" by the Beach Boys played on my keen new MP3 walkman. "Whether whiteness whisks soft shadows away." Whatever that means.

So I went to the bookstore and bought some books for school. I began reading Culture Jam by Kalle Lasn, and it's pretty funny. "A culture that keeps hyping people to consume more is not cool. America is not cool. And the people who fall for the hype are the worst kind of uncool: They're suckers."

Maybe tomorrow classes will be cancelled again. If so, I will probably just sleep all day.

No comments: