Monday, January 05, 2004

Dusty Vindictive Dobermans

Over the break I watched some keen DVDs on my keen new DVD player. First, I viewed some grand films from a Studio Ghibli collection I borrowed. Studio Ghibli is the home of Hayao Miyazaki, one of the smartest and most inventive filmmakers alive today. I was finally able to watch a subtitled version of Porco Rosso, which is one of my favorite Miyazaki movies. Tis a shame it hasn't been domestically released in America; it's required viewing for anyone who reads this site!! Hopefully it will show up in the States soon, seeing how Ghibli stuff is gaining popularity over here.


When pigs fly!! Ha ha...No, that's too obvious.

The other DVD I viewed was one with both The Street Fighter and Return of the Street Fighter . I can sum up the plots of both movies in one sentence: Sonny Chiba plays a badass karate master who goes around killing gangsters with incredible moves. Those moves include punching guys in the stomach, punching guys in the face, whacking a guy's head with a steel pipe, and punching a guy in the back of the head so hard that his eyes pop out. These movies are hilarious. Sonny Chiba discovered the secret to competing with Bruce Lee films: just add a bunch of ridiculous violence.

I will, pa. I will.


No comments: