Thursday, October 07, 2004

draw me a sheep, dammit!

I'd like to take this time to talk about my favorite book ever, The Little Prince (Le Petit Prince) by Antoine de Saint Exupery. Here is the official site for the book, complete with a cute little flash animation.

I first read the book a few years ago out of curiosity and a fondness for the cover drawing, and I read it again just a few weeks ago in Ashland. What at first glance appears to be a whimsical children's book is actually a whimsical philosophical look at the worlds we create for ourselves and how we perceive them. I'm sure that sounds very broad and very vague, but The Little Prince is a story told with such simplicity (and few pages) that you are able to identify with it immediately, and then the significance of its message comes to you gently through the innocence of the title character.

I realize that I haven't even mentioned what the book is about, but if you don't know then you will just have to read it. And I'm sure you can find it somewhere for cheap.


Yeah, I wore that to prom. *rim shot!*

No comments: