Friday, December 12, 2003

Christopher Lee's goth wig!

Momus meets The Wicker Man.

'The Wicker Man' is a movie I watched with Tristan at the Wells Manor a while back. Not since Zardoz had I seen such a bizarre, head-scratching, confused-laugh-inducing piece of 70s cinema failure. Maybe I wrote about it on my site before. It's one of those films that really isn't very good, but for some reason you remember it for the rest of your life. Kind of like Flash Gordon.

Something I found interesting was that according to the video's box the movie is terrifying and disturbing, "a totally corrupt shocker". But the actual film isn't standard movie horror. It's more like conservative-Christian horror, the kind of "nightmare tale" that bible-beating parents would tell their kids on Halloween (but they would probably change the ending and have Jesus nuke the island like in Jurassic Park). To a modern college student, the movie is just wonderfully wierd and funny. Anyway, Momus apparently took more from it than I ever could, but at least he recognised the same basic things Tristan and I did. Rent it today, kids!



No comments: