Tuesday, March 09, 2004

"the camel that stroke the baw's rack."

That title is something I said today in an attempt to say "straw that broke the camel's back." I corrected myself by saying "I mean the camel that broke the straw's back." I was still laughing after everyone else had stopped.

Finals approach. Some are already here. Tomorrow I have my Japanese oral final, and I think my body has been conditioned to react in a negative way for the 48 hours surrounding the 5-minute conversation. And people wonder why my hair is thinning.

I am thinking of creating a children's book, something about a knight and a dragon and Jesus. Then I'll publish it and get a Caldecott medal. I love children's books, especially ones written by children. I think I talked about this before. But yes, that whole area is my main source inspiration.
Speaking of inspiration, there was a great art exhibit at OSU's Fairbanks hall this past month. I just caught its last day yesterday; Kay French had a series entitled "the plants of paradise", and it was a bunch of field drawings of plants and insects with random lists of numbers, symbols and stamps stuck on the canvases, which were painted in soft blue, brown and green color fields. The artist had written about how it was all inspired by early 20th-century field manuals, and that she was attempting to find the aesthetic of some ideal, utopian garden. I just thought it was a great combination of technical, commercial and fine art. I think technical art, diagrams and graphs and such, has a lot of potential in the fine art world, and it was good to see an artist play with that idea. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything about Kay French on the web, but I did find this:


Mars missions can wait.

No comments: