Monday, October 27, 2003

God isn't an apple...is he?

People are standing. Just standing, waiting for someone to get off a computer. Or maybe they are trying to make people feel guity so that they will say "I'm sorry you have to stand. Here; have this one." I chose a computer in the back of the room thinking that all the vulture people would circle the front and leave me alone, but sure enough, right now there is a girl just standing a couple feet away. She walked all the way to the back of the room just to stand next to me and make me feel uncomfortable. There's a whole damn room! There could be a guy right over there who's done! Go away, dammit!!

So yesterday I defeated some Christians. There were 3 girls in front of the library who were nice enough keep me from entering the library and studying because they wanted to guilt-trip me into joining their religion. I gave them 2 minutes to give some reasons why their God is the best (immediately after which I said "whoop, time's up!"). But before I left one of them presented me with an analogy. She was so confident; it was almost cute. It went something like this:

her: Do you believe in gravity?
me: I suppose I believe in the theory of gravity.
her: So say I have an apple here in my hand. What's gonna happen if I drop it?
me: I suppose it's going to fall and hit the ground.
her: But how do you know that for sure?
me: Because I've dropped things before and seen it happen.
her: ...But, just play along; What if you've never done it before, how do you know gravity exists? You have faith in it, right?
me: Well, before I believed in gravity I would have to test it by dropping the apple a couple times. Then, after witnessing it, I would have reason based on my experience to believe that it will happen...
her: Well, c'mon, you know what I'm...okay, bad example.

At that point I started to walk away and, seeing that they'd been defeated, one of them just said "Well, think about it!" I did, girls. I did think about it.

No comments: