Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Japan Land log, Pt. 1

Hey there, everybody. I bet you'll never guess where I am. ...No. Wait. Duh.

Yep, I made it to Japan. It's about 9:45am now. I just had some coffee and some chocolate Charlie Brown cereal, and I just thought I should let everyone know I am alive and well. I don't think I have the time to write out a fully composed post, as I still need to get ready to go out and gawk, so I will try to make this brief yet telling. I will say this, though: so far Japan is just as mad-crazy and awesome as I expected. Here's a little run down of the trip so far----

-Vancouver airport made me feel like I was in Japan already. Nearly everybody there, the travellers, the employees, was Japanese. I ate a sandwich and a muffin. I did see one Canadian pilot riding a segway around, and it was pretty damn funny.

-The 10-hour flight was very disorienting. I kept falling asleep and waking up not knowing where I was. Time didn't seem to exist. I tried to watch Agent Cody Banks, but it sucked. I tried to watch Gattaca (because I wanted to see it), but I fell asleep. Then I woke up and thought "where the hell am I?"

-Kansai airport was very...empty. For some reason there wasn't many people when we arrived. Oh yeah; The Beastie Boys from the Intergalactic video guided our plane upon landing.

-Japan is beautiful.

-When Natsuki and I were waiting for her parents to pick us up from a bus station, the empty bottle of a Japanese drink fell off my suitcase and broke on the sidewalk. As I was trying to clean it up, her family found and greeted us. They are very nice, hospitable people, but their first impression of me was a tired American kid holding a broken bottle. *sigh*

-Natsuki's hometown is awesome. It's about the size of Corvallis, but it's JAPANESE, which makes it ten times more interesting. I ate at a little ramen place, and it was grrrrreat. All the food here is incredible.

-Japanese people are reckless drivers. I'll explain later.

-Yesterday Natsuki and I visited the family home of her friend Kaori Manabe, who is a national TV star and model. Kaori lives someplace else of course, but her mother and sister were super-nice, and they thought I was great. I also ate some cereal while I was there. That's right; I ate cereal in a Japanese supermodel's mom's house. Rock.

I know there's more, but I should go get ready now. Just know that I am geting lots of great footage. I will write later. Mata nee!

No comments: