Monday, May 19, 2003

"It's like an airplane, sir. But...without wings!"

Maybe I'm doing too much commentary on world events, but dammit, there's so much silly stuff to write about!

Yet another U.S. Helicopter has crashed in Iraq. I'm not even going to link to the article this time. So this is, what, the fifth copter our troops have planted into the ground during this "war"? Isn't becoming a tad obvious that our boys just don't know how to fly them fuckin things? I thought it was morbidly funny when the first big loss for the U.S. in this "war" was one of our helicopters crashing on accident. But when it kept happening over and over, it stopped being funny. It became hilarious! But now it is kind of sad. I can just picture a general briefing his troops over in Iraq: "Okay, we need a helicopter team. Who's in?"
"Not me, sir."
"Someone else, sir."
"I have palsey, sir."
"I get air sick, sir."
"I..um...just don't want to go because we've already lost a whole shitload of marines in copter crashes, sir."

I am guessing it's the air force's job to teach these grunts how to pilot a whirly-bird. So what's going wrong? Maybe all the recruits want to fly jets. Once they get out on that airfield, humming to themselves "high-way-to-the-danger zone", they all sprint to the coolest looking jets they can find. There's always the instructor pleading "c'mon, guys! Doesn't anyone want to learn how to fly a helicopter?" But a cocky young Joe shouts back "helicopters are gay! WOOO!" as he flips the switches in his Tomcat and lifts off. "Take my breath awaaaaaaaay!"

Anyway, thanks to movies like "Apocalypse Now" and the G.I. Joe franchise, I think helicopters are pretty cool. And that's my final thought.


No comments: