Monday, April 18, 2005

new song.

I've been busy lately. I've lots of reading to do for my classes, and this packing in of knowledge from Monday through Thursday makes me want to party more from Friday to Sunday. So this weekend I consumed a bunch of brain-dissolving liquids, and now I'm back in the library starting another week of schoolish things. The thing is, I've recorded virtually nothing since Spring break. But I was musically productive over that break, and I bring you the product today: Grow Fins

This is the first cover I've ever done. I really would of had fun doing anything off of The Spotlight Kid album, on which Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band reach their peak in mind-melting, bluesy freak-out jams. I took some liberties with the theme of the song, injecting more bitterness and making it more about emotional resignation than bluesy lament. The added verse could be hinting at the one-sidedness of the dating game: "These women, with their copper heads, and their magazines, and their guillotines/Always doing the talking, never the hunting." I threw in the Jim Morrison sample because...it's great, but also as a kind of sermon to all the men who have been led on, manipulated, or "pushed around". We're gonna grow fins, go back in the water again, 'n leave you land-lubbin' women alone.


Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band. And a vacuum..

.

No comments: