Sunday, September 30, 2007

feed your inner Japanese kid.

I have an inner Japanese kid. He's the one who periodically screams "I need ramen!" or "I need green tea!" or "those people are too loud!" And I usually listen to him. Here are some things that have been appeasing my inner Japanese kid recently:

The Taste of Tea

Katsuhito Ishii's wonderful film about...well, nothing really, but featuring a string of strange situations and charming characters. Movies like this make me wonder if it's possible to make a bad movie in Japan, since there are so many great things to film over there. Simple shots of country roads and high school interiors just look so good, and Ishii really embraces that. It also stars Tadanobu Asano, that guy who is in every Japanese movie.

Ryusuke Works

English blog by the manga artist Ryusuke Hamamoto, who still manages to stand out in the endless sea of global manga artists. You can browse his beautiful drawings on his DeviantArt page. I read his blog for the great Engrish poetry that makes up daily posts:
"I'm eating a lunch with my friend.
I choise a vegetable curry and spinach salad.
My friend choise a honey toast with ice cream.
it's dericious! and I want to eat a honey toast too!"

Merry Daily

Merry Daily is the blog for a Harajuku clothing store called Tokyo Bopper. There are great photos and "style samples" of slick outfits. I'm glad to see Tokyo kids leaning toward more colorful fashions again- the goths and gangstas got old fast.
.

No comments: