Sunday, June 24, 2007

what a nightmare.

Last year, The Nightmare Before Christmas was released as a special edition DVD, and along with it came a newly remastered double-disc soundtrack. The bad news? A handful of lousy covers from bands like Fall Out Boy and Marilyn Manson. Here's his version of "This Is Halloween":



The first YouTube comment for this video reads thus:

DarkDemonicMari (1 hour ago)
"omg, that was a great video. you did a really great job! I love how Marilyn see's things differently than everyone else, and how artistic he is. He really doesm't care what everyone else thinks about him, and I admire him for that. I also love The Nightmare Before Christmas. Having him sing that song just brought more, artistic-ness and creepiness to the song. I mean, it created a whole other darkness to the movie...I love it man!"

Is it just me, or does DarkDemonicMari sound like Manson's publicist presenting the ideal response to their little marketing venture? A little too giddy, if you ask me. Then again, her name is Dark Demonic Mari. And I find it funny that the song she heard provided more "artistic-ness and creepiness" to the original track, because the song I heard was silly, obvious, cliched, stupid and unnecessary. Kinda like goth culture as a whole. And it seems to me that if Manson "sees things differently" and "doesm't care what everyone else thinks about him," he would deliver a less predictable interpretation. And I won't even comment on Panic! At the Disco's version of the song, because it is bloody fucking awful.

If I recall, the lesson Jack Skellington learns in The Nightmare Before Christmas is that appreciation doesn't require appropriation. Jack hijacks Christmas, and after applying his own Halloween values to it finds that he's created something that bastardizes the essence of each world. He realizes that the idea of Christmas, no matter how foreign or different it appears to him, is valid and admirable in its own form and deserves to be left that way. Shame that Manson couldn't agree in regards to the soundtrack, which is already phenomenal without being dumbed down to the language of teen angst.

The problem I've always had with Marilyn Manson is that he speaks so eloquently about his art while his art tends to say nothing other than "Boo! Don't I disturb you?" In a way, like a musical Witkin. What I fear is that young people viewing Nightmare for the first time will go buy the soundtrack and forever associate the timeless story with these hardly-timeless bands. Hopefully, though, they will hear the bonus demos Danny Elfman recorded himself and understand that these songs, and this movie, are brilliant without distorted guitars, heavy drums and angry vocals.


.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I'm honestly not sure why i'm even addressing you right now, but I am. You are so ignorant in saying these things. You obviously don't even know what art is. If you would take time and listen to what Marilyn Manson is actually saying (which you have plenty of time on your hands) you would see that he isnt trying to scare anybody.He tries to say that you shouldn't be afraid to be and/or express yourself in any way. Another thing the cover was really well done, do you honestly expect a colorful happy version of this song? what kind of idiot are you. its supposed to be 'the NIGHTMARE before christmas'. You are the same kind of people that said Beethoven's music was obscene and disgusting back then, and you will be proven wrong. I hope you notice the level of ignorance you have going before you post another idiotic blog. Last thing that is NOT Marilyn Manson in the picture it's his drummer Ginger Fish, it shows how much your really thinking into writing this.

Deluxe Brett, model no. 82 said...

Well shit! I stand corrected. Apparently that IS Manson's drummer and he seriously DOES call himself "Ginger Fish." Christ, do I have to validate my point any further??
But in response to Alfaro's comments, truthful or mocking, let me say A) thanks for commenting; even though I posted this a good 5 months ago, I always appreciate feedback, and B) I have trouble seeing how Manson's message is "you shouldn't be afraid to be and/or express yourself in any way," when everything he does seems to shout "shock or offend with leather an makeup." Now, if that's how he wishes to express himself, so be it. I have no problem. I'm only saying that his cover of this particular song fails to add anything to the mix, and that filtering it through the lens of metal music actually seems like a step backwards- whereas the original song was built upon story and context to convey a feeling of dread and recreational fright, Manson's version utilizes a tired aesthetic commonly associated with black clothing and whiny teenagers (I hate to be blunt, but who are we kidding?). Had I been in his position, presented with the opportunity to add a personal spin to this song, I would have either approached the material with a fresh sense of ideas or had the integrity to turn down the offer and say "leave it to the fucking emo bands." After all, the job of an artist is, arguably, to make the people think, not merely give them what they would expect.

...And as far as the Beethoven comment, I wasn't alive when he hit the scene, so I can't say how I would have reacted. But I wouldn't object to hearing his work juxtaposed with Manson's while shopping for a new suit. I mean, as far as conservative music goes, metal and symphonic mesh like Loggins and Messina.

Anonymous said...

Dumbass, that isn't even MArilyn MAnson

Anonymous said...

So, what? Ginger Rogers and Albert Fish? Marilyn Monroe and Charles Manson? Twiggy Lawson and Richard Ramirez? It's a fucking band thing, okay?

It's common knowledge that Manson isn't at all talented at covering songs. No, he doesn't add anything to the song except his voice and even then it's not even worth it. Personal Jesus, anyone?

Please, PLEASE, shut the fuck up about something you don't understand. I doubt Manson's intention was to spawn a generation of Manson look-a-likes. More likely that not, it was to lead by example. If he showed that he was free to be whatever he wanted, then hopefully people wouldn't be coerced into thinking that they had to conform to someone else's version of beauty. Got it?

Deluxe Brett, model no. 82 said...

So I've taken down the Ginger Fish photo. I was mistaken, I get it, so it's down.

And the last time I checked, Manson is a public figure presenting his work to the masses via popular media, so that gives me every right to critique and respond to it as much as I damn well please. Don't give me any "shut the fuck up about something you don't understand" crap. I enjoyed the Nightmare Before Christmas, and it annoyed me to see the soundtrack reissued and marketed towards a specific demographic with Manson's stamp of approval, so I responded to what I saw. Feel free to add your thoughts, but don't stick a gun in my mouth.

Anonymous said...

I'm not telling you to "shut the fuck up about something you don't understand" but I will help you understand. :) read on ...

You seem to be one who does not think beyond what is at your fingertips and that is unfortunate. I see a pattern with you. Poking fun at Ginger Fish's name? Do you not know what a pseudoname is "Deluxe Brett, model no. 82"? I doubt your parents named you that.

I think that the pairing of a Pop Icon's name with and a Serial Killer's name is much more interesting than "Deluxe Brett, model no. 82."

Maybe you did not notice the connection of the names. Well if you can't even recognize that then I guess it would not be fair to expect you to add it up Nightmare Before Christmas, made by Disney. Disney ASKED Manson to perform the remix. I'm sure they had a say and limited his creative potential. He said in an interview that he, who the media calls a "shock rocker," was shocked when they Disney came to him. Disney you are quite the tricky trickers.

Just some advice, look a little deeper.