Saturday, December 11, 2004

baroque Giger: the fractured fractal post...

Well, the pretty fractal pictures I had up for a few days have decided they don't want to be up anymore. "Direct linking not allowed" and all that. But I still have what I wrote below. So anyway...

...Fractals! More specifically, visualizations of math equations with infinitesimal solutions. It's intriguing to see math and art come together so beautifully, considering art is one of my greatest loves and math one of my deepest hates. What struck me about this fractal artwork is that the artist seems to be the equation itself. These twisting, pulsing, beautiful and bizarre images come not from the imagination of a human mind but from intricate, complex patterns of numbers and pixels. I can look at the pictures above and my brain automatically draws connections to sea shells, skeletons, 17th century art movements or biomechanical Swiss surrealism. But that is all the fault of my schemas, as I could probably never look at an image created by Utlrafractal (the software used to create the pictures above) and simply see numbers.

Here is a good site for more information on fractals and the applications of, and here is a site with some rad images.


No comments: