Sunday, November 07, 2004

day off from thinking.

So I'm finally giving you a real post. It's been a strange week, really. Or maybe not. Maybe it just seems strange from today's vantage point.

I've been pretty out of it all day today. I don't know why, but my theory is that my brain is giving me the day off. I've been thinking too much this past week- thinking about classes and homework and people and politics and faulty expectations and plenty of other things. And it's probably because of all this troubled thinking that I haven't had a sober night's sleep in 5 days. This morning I woke up at about 10:30 and was not greeted by the usual avalanche of thoughts. Instead everything was simplified.
Get up. Drink some water. Oh look, Joel is still sleeping. Oh that's right, dishes need to be done. Oh well. In the meantime, coffee.

My brain was only concerned with the immediate. I had to make a conscious effort to think about the deeper, more contemplative things. I wasn't even terribly stressed out about my history of photography midterm tomorrow, althought I probably should be. Today was just for being and doing. I do what must be done. Even now, I'm having trouble coming up with sentences.

Maybe you want to hear my thoughts on that election. Was I depressed? Was I shocked? Was I horribly crushed and disappointed? No, not really. So Bush is president again. Sure, I wasn't expecting it, but it's not so surprising. What, you didn't know that America was chock full of idiots? I did. So you can't really say that Mr. Bush is an inapporopriate figurehead of this 'proud nation'. And so what if he is president? He's not president of my immediate environment. He doesn't rule Brettamerica. And look at the bright side- we get to laugh at him for another 4 years.

I'm sure tomorrow my brain will be up and running again, and all the thoughts and troubles will be back to buzz around my head. But right now I have to print out some photographs. Y'all have a good one.


No comments: